Friday, November 1, 2013

The Seventh Day is a Day of Solemn Rest Ex 20:8-11

In the book "Sabbath in the Suburbs" Maryann McKibben Dana talks about the gift of Sabbath for the Old Testament Jews.  A people who had just been freed from centuries of slavery, forced to work day and night at the whim of their masters. "The Jewish observance of Sabbath is an exclamation to the world: 'We are not slaves to the empire anymore!   We are free!'"  She says, "I'm a captive too, but of a very different sort.  I feel enslaved to the type-A madness of my environment and my own soul.  I'm longing for the Promised Land. And Sabbath is my Red Sea, I'm sure of it."

To what do you feel enslaved?  Picture that which makes you the most crazy, or tense or frustrated.  Now imagine a day with none of that.  Find a way to shake those bonds and spend time in the promised rest of the blessing of Sabbath.


No comments:

Post a Comment