Monday, February 3, 2014

Why I Attend A Weekend Of Sabbath; The WOTE Dog Sled Trip

Dear Carrin,
I have lost count of the number of times I have joined this wonderful group of women on this January weekend. I attend to wittiness and connect to Gods amazing creation and restore my soul.

The anticipation and preparation begins after Christmas as communications and plans for this years trip are underway. This trip is one way to create a break in the patterned routine of my days.  When I see the bus and the many smiling faces climbing into it I see faces I've known for years and new faces of women I will soon meet.  I enjoy this sacred time set aside for renewing friendships and making new friends.  When my girls were little children this was a way to rest and rejuvenate myself. Now that these "girls" are women it is a way to enjoy and celebrate the wonderful women they have become. 

Arriving at the edge of the lake is always a joyful moment for me. We are welcomed to this amazing place and begin the walk across the lake. I enjoy hearing the crunch of the snow under boots, the smell of fresh cool air, the stars sparkling in the vast sky, the snowflakes reflecting this starlight like millions of diamonds, the peace and quiet that surrounds me like a warm blanket.

Then there is the warm glowing light of the beautiful lodge that appears in front of my eyes. I snuggle into my bed, smile, give thanks for this wonderful opportunity and close my eyes with anticipation of the experiences awaiting me. I awake to smells of brewed coffee, teas and hot coco, freshly baked bread, fruit and so many other treats I did not have to shop for, think about or prepare, what a treat!  

The lodge is filled with lively conversation and planning as we decide what we will experience in this day. I enjoy the change from the routine activities of my life.  The beauty of the snow covered woods strikes my mind and soul so deeply I pause and reflect often on Gods amazing creation in process. I witness and participate in this marvelous creation, I am awakened more fully.

This time allows me to see, feel, hear, smell, touch and engage in life more deeply.  I see and reflect on Gods creation in processes all around me. The person creating a piece of jewelry, hat, scarf or mittens. I look at the knitting and see one continuous thread running through the piece, the individual stitches, textures and colors. I am reminded how God runs through our community, how the integrity of the "community/scarf" can be quickly unraveled if one stitch is damaged.  The lesson of the lost lamb comes to my mind, I smile. We need each other and God is in all of us. I am reminded to embrace and strengthen the weak, each one has an important gift to share in the creation of the whole. I remember that sometimes I am weak and other times I am strong.  I look around and see God. In the one that plans and organizes, pieces the puzzle together, creates amazing food to nurture, the one that smiles, laughs, reads, quietly reflects, creates safe passage thru the wilderness, wags the tail, stokes the fire... All around I see God. In the trees, the sky, the moss, the lakes and ice, snow flakes "each one totally unique" just like people.

I could go on but basically I come on these trips to remember and experience God, get out of my blinding daily routine, rest and rejuvenate in a wonderfully supporting community of women. My soul as been restored, my cup runneth over. I have been reawakened to the majesty of creation and community once again.

Thank-you for creating this wonderful group and allowing me to be a part of this amazing community.

Peace and joy,
Teri

No comments:

Post a Comment