Wednesday, March 12, 2014

So... I Suppose I Should Break This Sabbath Thing To My Family

Yes, it's true!  I'm experimenting with a "Super-Secret" Sabbath.  It's not so much that I want it to be a secret, I mean I do presentations on Sabbath, and a weekly blog, and  am trying to live a faithful Sabbath filled life.  But I haven't really clued the gang in on what's going on.

I can't decide if it's because I am afraid we, as a family, are more likely to sabotage the day collectively if everyone is in on it, or if there will be eye rolling (them) which will lead to seething (me) which will lead to a begrudging compliance (everyone) which will just wreck it!

It's not like I don't trust them to hold the day in the esteem with which it deserves, (I totally don't trust them) but it's like a diet; the more people you tell, the more people seem to offer you chocolate cake!

Mostly I think I'm worried about being the gate keeper.  I don't want to be the one making "rules" which seem rigid, and agonizing and burdensome. (Where's a good Pharisee when you need one?)  I want Sabbath to be  organic and a natural end to a busy week.   I want Sabbath to be lovely, and meaningful, and restful! So far that is what we have achieved, and frankly I'm a little tentative about messing with a good thing.

I am willing to go the extra mile with cooking and cleaning and organizing early on in the week so our Sabbath can be restful.  Talking and explaining and discussing and disputing would put me over the edge and ruin it.  My goal is for them to come to me one day and say, "Oh mother dear, our life is so peaceful and amazing, what is it that makes it so? (I am hearing this being said in an old English accent much like Oliver Twist asking for more gruel, even though we are not British, nor are we particularly Dickensian!) You can probably wager on how soon that is going to happen!

So, in the mean time, if you run into one of my children or my husband, and ask, "How's Sabbath going?" don't be surprised if the answer is a bunch of blinking and "ummming."   Because I think I'll put it off for just one more week.

No comments:

Post a Comment