Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sabbath Does Not Equal Perfect

Saturday we grocery shopped, and I spent a good (read exhausting) chunk of time prepping meals for the upcoming week.  (Evidently that's a thing...cooking for a week in one day.  The jury is still out on whether or not I'm a fan.)   I prepared Saturday's dinner, stew for Sunday (for the slow cooker of course) and a black eyed peas dish for later in the week.  (The legume...NOT the singing group)

So Sunday afternoon rolled around and there was no stew. (Apparently prepping a slow cook recipe is not enough, one needs to put it into the slow cooker!)  But that was Okay.  I had decided that I was putting WAY too much time on the meal portion of Sabbath, and not enough focus on the other things I wanted to do to make Sabbath meaningful.  So I thought I would spend some time exploring what it means to be thankful.  I found this quote, "Practicing thankfulness is one of the most powerful ways of thinking to bring about change in our circumstances."    But then the dog needed a walk; and I had to help my son with some homework he had ignored all weekend; and had homework of my own,which I had ignored all weekend; and the kids couldn't come over for dinner (which was fine since there was no stew anyway....) Sigh.  So I will continue to ruminate on thankfulness and how it relates to Sabbath, but in the meantime, this is what I have learned...
  1. Just because I have declared it a day of Sabbath does NOT mean it is a day devoid of challenges. 
  2. The whole world will not come to a halt and comply with my Sabbath wishes.
  3. I would have made a very bad Pharisee!

No comments:

Post a Comment