Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Just 10 minutes

Sometimes I wonder if we don't think of sabbath as a luxury rather than a necessity? Something that has to have the right setting or circumstances to fully enjoy the moment. But really, sabbath moments are pretty easy if you practice taking them. In the book Catch your Breath Thich Nhat Hahn, a well known Buddhist monk takes a sabbath breath whenever he hears a bell toll... He pauses and breathes for the length of the sound. As I was writing this the train went by, breathe....children laughing, breathe. The luxury of sabbath breathe is all around, reach out and take a breath.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking of trying that deep breath when the phone rings...but then you know I couldn't answer the phone...maybe commercials on the radio or TV. I would love to hear ideas on how you can incorporate a few calming breaths into your day

    ReplyDelete